On Wed, 2007-08-22 at 09:23 -0700, Hugh McIntyre wrote:
> Kaiwai Gardiner wrote:

> content.
> >> No, but do you have a better idea for a solution that also works
> on
> >> systems without GUI and server systems?
> >>
> >> IIRC, you are able to tell MS-WIN what to mount from the GUI.
> >>
> > As cringe worthy as it sounds - how about an ncurses dialogue that
> > appears on the screen when the cd is inserted, requesting the end
> user,
> > on detection of a hybrid cd/storage, as to which file system driver
> > use?
>
> Given a dialog saying "this disk contains filesystems in HSFS and UDF
> formats; which one do you want to mount?", how many users are really
> going to know which filesystem to select?  You might as well put up a
> dialog saying "press here to guess".
>
> This is very different from a mixed audio/data CD where people can
> easily understand "do you want the data or audio part of this CD?"
>
> Now, if you want to put up a dialog with some explanatory text saying
> "if this is a disk from Windows/Nero, you probably want choice A; the
> other choices are for advanced users who know differently" then that
> might be different.  But otherwise, presenting the user with a choice
> where most users won't know the right answer is not necessarily a big
> help.

True, but at the same time it would be a process of elimination - if it
doesn't work with the first option, they'll pull it out and when the
dialogue appeared again, would choose the other one.

Even with Data/Audio, it doens't work properly on Solaris - for
instance, one of the cd's I have, it doesn't properly detect the size of
the data side of the cd resulting when ripping the last track there is
either an error or a huge silence after the song has finished.

Matthew