>> It was a very much NASTY SURPRISE to find out that
>> HAL DOES NOT mount multiple filesystems on removeable
>> media.
>
> Is "fstyp" able to correctly detect a CD+ (1. Session
> Audio, 2. session data)?
>
> Will HAL mount the data part _and_ play the music at
> the same time?
>
> This would be the expected behavior.

That typically wouldn't work well regardless of whether HAL supported
it, because raw CD audio playback is often done in such a way
that the analog output also works, which means at 1x.  That in turn
means that any other concurrent access to the CD interferes with the
audio.  I've done that sort of thing before; both audio and data
performance are horrible.

A smarter player would offer the option of analog, digital+analog, or
digital only playback;  in the latter case, it could read in a manner that
allowed >1x, so on a faster than 1x drive, it should be possible to have
concurrent audio/data access that way.  Better if the player buffered
a lot, maybe 8MiB or so, on each read, did async I/O to the audio and
drive, and scheduled another read a few seconds before the audio buffer
was due to be empty; the rest of the time, it would just be updating its
offset feedback, or would be available for the GUI event loop to use.

An audiofs filesystem for audio CD sessions could hide all that, giving
digital-only access to a pseudo directory of files; probably just with
track numbers and a suffix indicating them as raw CD audio files.  Getting
fancy, it could give another version of each file, encapsulated in
something common like .WAV format.  By being data-only, and handling
buffering and read-ahead, it would ensure performance.  By providing
an easy interface, it would ease portability (esp. if it resembled such
audio filesystems on other platforms).