On 02/10/2007, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > ok, you know there is a problem with your software
> > when your desktop
> > > box needs more memory than your server, that is
> > just wrong
> >
> > I don't consider it wrong. Your server software has
> > far less resource
> > needs than your desktop. It's just a reality.
>
> But I do.  Where I come from, it's called bloat.  Even with reduced memory
> footprint, Solaris will still need half a gigabyte (!!!) to install.

One person's bloat is another person's absolutely necessary feature;
bloat is a relative and often abused term.

International language support is bloat to people who only deal in or
speak English.

Assistive technologies for the visually or otherwise impaired is bloat
to those who don't need it.

All that "useless sound code" is useless to people that don't even
have speakers.

CDE is bloat to those who don't use it.

GNOME is bloat to those who don't use it.

I could go on, but you should be getting the point...

Bloat is relative.

> So OK, I can understand people wanted to capitalize on using "standard"
> technology like GNOME; but hey, all of the libs needed could've been linked
> in statically -- and somehow I seriously doubt a statically linked binary
> would have needed half a gigabyte of RAM to run.  If it did, then the
> "standard" GNOME stuff is no better than Microsoft's bloated junk.  There, I
> wrote it.  That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it!

Your story, unfortunately, does not have a fairy tale ending.

Static linking is gone the way of the dodo (and I don't miss it). If
you're someone running a lot of Sun Ray clients, static linking is
completely impractical.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not
tried it. " --Donald Knuth