On 31/10/2007, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> John Plocher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Maybe we don't have to reconcile them, because they are /different/
> > things.  Which of the following are OpenSolaris?  Duh, they all are.
> > They simply have different audiences:
> >
> >      The OpenSolaris Operating System:
> >       At the minimalist end, we have a "miniroot" consisting

> > Today we have SX, SXDE, Schillix, Belinix, MartUX and Nexenta
> > as examples of various targeted distros.  If I have a binary
> > program (say, oracle or my company's accounting package...),
> > and I want to pick a distro,
> >       Should I /expect/ my application to just work on it?
> >       /Will/ it just work?
> >       Does the distro owner have any expectations in this regard?
> >     and most importantly,
> >       How would I tell?
>
> More than 2 years ago, we did agreee that noone except Sun has the
> right to call a distro "OpenSolaris" and that Sun shoul/would not do this.
>
> I have no problem if Sun would start to publish something called:
> "Sun OpenSolaris ...."
>
> I have problems if this was not labelled with "Sun" as this would cause
> harm to other existing OpenSolaris based distributions.

I have yet to see any qualifying statements that indicate exactly
*how* other distributions would be harmed.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall