On 31/10/2007, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Shawn Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > More than 2 years ago, we did agreee that noone except Sun has the
> > > right to call a distro "OpenSolaris" and that Sun shoul/would not do this.
> > >
> > > I have no problem if Sun would start to publish something called:
> > > "Sun OpenSolaris ...."
> > >
> > > I have problems if this was not labelled with "Sun" as this would cause
> > > harm to other existing OpenSolaris based distributions.
> >
> > I have yet to see any qualifying statements that indicate exactly
> > *how* other distributions would be harmed.
>
> How about trying to prove that there is no such harm?

That's my point. If you want to be able to prove *why* we shouldn't
have a distribution called OpenSolaris you must demonstrate the harm
it would cause as the benefit has already been demonstrated and talked
about.

Not to be offensive, but other than hurt feelings, I don't see the harm in it.

> It is obvious that if Sun calls a distro "OpenSolaris", many people believe
> that this is the one and only.

I don't believe that for a moment. Going to ubuntu.com only lets me
download Ubuntu easily; but there are links that go off to other
places where you can get Kubuntu, Edubuntu, etc. Many people do know
that other "flavours" of Ubuntu exist.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall