On 31/10/2007, Martin Bochnig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:

> >> It is the same as with all (super-)classes of objects, versus their
> >> derived sub-classes, or even _instances_ of objects of the corresponding
> >> classes.
> >> Shouldn't you normally strive to strictly avoid referencing an instance
> >> versus the actual class in the same (identical) manner?
> >>
> >> Renaming "Indiana" to "OpenSolaris": Wouldn't that be like renaming the
> >> brand "Crysler" to "Automibile"?
> >> IMO a "Crysler" is not equal to "Automobile". It would be a subclass of
> >> it (with more nested subclasses and then n-millions of instances/leaf
> >> nodes).
> >> Renaming "Indiana" to "Sun OpenSolaris" would make much more sense to
> >> me, because that's just what it is (independently from how it may or may
> >> not be called at the end of the day).
> >>

> > Sorry, but that would not be true. Indiana is the result of work from
> > more than just Sun folks. It includes ksh93 for example, and it
> > includes efforts by other non-Sun affiliated folks as well. Calling it
> > Sun OpenSolaris would be inaccurate.
> >

> Making boolean algebra derived assumptions based on that argument leads
> me to the following system of statements:
>
> As BeleniX is called "BeleniX", it doesn't contain anything that has
> been developed by people outside of the BeleniX community.
> As SchilliX is called "SchilliX", it doesn't contain anything that has
> been developed by people outside of the SchilliX community.
> As Nextenda is called "Nextenda", it doesn't contain anything that has
> been developed by people outside of the Nextenda community.
> As MartUX is called "MartUX", it doesn't contain anything that has been
> developed by people outside of the MartUX community.
>
> Does that make sense?

No, and it wouldn't be true and it isn't what I was saying either.

All I was stating is that putting "Sun" in the front of the distro
name is neither necessary or accurate. While it is true that ptuting
"Sun" in front of the distro name does not necessarily indicate that
only Sun worked on it, I have yet to see a qualified reason for doing
so other than insinuations by some that such should be done to
distance it from the community.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"We don't have enough parallel universes to allow all uses of all
junction types--in the absence of quantum computing the combinatorics
are not in our favor..." --Larry Wall