Martin Bochnig wrote:
>> This is like calling the automobiles built in the BMW Factory "BMWs".
>
> Only when considering the 2nd layer (the distro-creating projects and
> associated ones, rather than OS/Net src base maintainers).

That is exactly what I am doing.  I'm NOT trying or intending to associate
the name OpenSolaris with simply the OS/Net src base...

> Then the OS/Net sources should not have the identical name "OpenSolaris"
> any longer.

Where is the OS/Net consolidation currently being named "opensolaris"?
I agree with you - if it is, then it should be changed.

The community name is Nevada.  Sometimes spelled "nv"
The common name is either ON or OS/Net.
The BFU image is snv_76 or nv_76
Inside Sun, it was called ON; sometimes "the WOS".
The name "Solaris" was always used for the complete system that
was sold to users; Solaris always included a GUI desktop, utilities,
nameservers, routing and email daemons, etc etc etc.

> If you want to be FullyOpen, then you may have to accept this.

Being a FullyOpen community member, I accept that others in the
FullyOpen community may do things to which I disagree. FullyOpen
does not mean "everyone has a veto".  It also does not mean "every
decision is made by consensus".  Sometimes people see a need, and
go on and fill it, whether or not others agree with them...

> And honestly: Do you understand / consider the existing distro projects
> as hostile competition, rather than as (positive, supporting) part (and
> partially also parts-supplier) of the whole ONE ?

I see them as being positive, value added and supporting alternatives
to a community that is focused on providing a best-of-breed generalized
reference distro; however, they are NOT the primary focus or design
pattern for the majority of the community.

> That's almost pretty much a joke, given that

I thought about using Ford instead of BMW in my analogy, but I didn't
because I don't like Fords.  I should have, though, because then I
could have concluded by saying

        Of course, custom car makers like Ferrari, Lotus and
        Rolls Royce don't consider Ford to be a competitor
        because their customer base simply doesn't buy Fords.

I consider MartUX, SchilliX and Nexenta to be similar to those
boutique automobile builders - they are what you install and use
if you have requirements that are not being met by the Fords of
the world.  And, you know what?  Many people use Ford or Chevy
engines in their customized vehicles - Ford is also a pretty
large parts retailer too.

   -John