Gotta love a good car analogy!

John Plocher wrote:
Martin Bochnig wrote:
Renaming "Indiana" to "OpenSolaris": Wouldn't that be like renaming the
brand "Crysler" to "Automibile"?
IMO a "Crysler" is not equal to "Automobile". It would be a subclass of
it (with more nested subclasses and then n-millions of instances/leaf
nodes).

I think you have it - exactly.

This is like calling the automobiles built in the BMW Factory "BMWs".

This is the OpenSolaris Community.  We construct a distro out of the
various source code parts that are manufactured in our community.
It is natural that the thing we produce somehow carries our name.

The alternative is that we are simply a parts supplier for other
automobile companies.

The Linux Distro Hell is flawed, IMO, because it sees itself as a
community of parts suppliers rather than as a producer of cars.
This may be good for those who love building their own vehicles, but
sucks rather large rocks if you just want something reliable to get
you to work every day.

I can understand why boutique hand-assembled auto manufacturers might
not like to see BMW enter the market...

   -John