On 4-Nov-07, at 7:34 PM, Glynn Foster wrote:

Mario Goebbels wrote:
Perhaps the installer can allow a choice of GNU, BSD and SysV (or
de-jure UNIX
or hawever you want to characterise it).

I wrote this multiple times before in this discussion. This is the
easiest way to defuse that userland situation.

After all, it was said from the beginning, that Indiana was meant to
lure some of the Linux users. So I won't mind GNU being the default, AS LONG there's a comfortable way to avoid this, being a radio button list
in the installer.

Ideally, the radio options come with descriptive text, explaining to the
user what they're about to select.

Also, add POSIX as option.

Do you want to do a mock-up of what that might look like? I fear (and this is purely an uninformed guess) that you're only going to alienate *more* users than
you'll make happy.

In beautiful ASCIIvision

|                                       _ o X |
|---------------------------------------------|
|       Choose a command-line environment     |
|        style                                |
|       0 Traditional Solaris              ?  |
|       O GNU                              ?  |
|       O BSD                              ?  |
|       O POSIX/UNIX03 Standards Compliant ?  |
|                                   _________ |
|                                   |Next ->| |
|                                   --------- |

*shrug*

the question marks pops up something to the effect of

Traditional Solaris:
        shell: /usr/bin/ksh93
        PATH: /usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin:/usr/ccs/bin
GNU:
        shell: /bin/bash
        PATH: /usr/gnu/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin
BSD
        shell: tcsh
        PATH: /usr/ucb/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin
POSIX
        shell: /bin/sh
        PATH: /usr/xpg4/bin:/usr/xpg6/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/sbin