Calum Benson wrote:
> GNOME's user-admin preferences window, IMHO.  I suspect a sizable
> number of users would have insufficient knowledge to make an informed
> choice, or just no preference at all, when confronted with such a
> choice during installation (I count myself among them!).  And that's
> usually a sign that it's better just to pick a sensible default, but
> allow it to be over-ridden later.

Indeed - but in that case you have to decide what will 'just work' for
most people,
most of the time.  If 'most' of the development for
more-or-less-posix-like systems
is being done for Linux, then that makes the default decision quit
easy:  make it
so that the simple configure && make && sudo make install works.  And
that needs
a GNU userland.  Sadly.

I guess you might get away with root being POSIX if sudo remains in GNU
land,
but I can't help feeling that's a level of complication that has little
upside and a big
downside.

Surely the answer is that, yes, the default is GNU.  And right at the
start of the install
you can answer one question that will enable such questions to those
that are able to
understand them.

All of the people making a fuss (well, apart from those throwing toys
because they
want a bigger say in the process) know how to answer that question, and
what they
want.  But they probably didn't need dwaf-caiman anyway, did they?

I do believe that having the user admin GUI wizard enable simple
switching is also
valuable - but the default it will use needs to be chosen somewhere too.

James