On Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:34:08 +1300, Glynn Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Do you want to do a mock-up of what that might look like? I fear (and
this
> is
> purely an uninformed guess) that you're only going to alienate *more*
> users than
> you'll make happy.

This sounds like a solution looking for a problem :)

Please correct me if I am wrong, but one of the primary goals of the new
installer is simplicity. Why go to the trouble of selecting a runtime in
the installation? I certainly would not want to instate a GNU runtime for
*every* user on the system.

Simply put, why not have the option of selecting a runtime post-install by
modifying your PATH (this is precisely what we do today)? If you want a GNU
runtime, simply place /usr/gnu/bin at the head of your PATH. Still want
xpg6? How about a BSD runtime? This is functionality we already have today,
why not keep it around in Indiana?

If you want to change the default PATH (in effect setting the runtime for
each user), you have the option of changing /etc/profile etc.

Steve