> Is anyone other than myself interested in seeing an
> IA64/Itanium port
> of OpenSolaris?

Would that be cool?  Why, yes it would!

Would it be a justifiable return on investment? No.

Here's the deal:

who's running IA64? Only two firms, sgi and hp.

hp's servers are WAY TOO EXPENSIVE to buy just to run HP-UX, let alone
(Open)Solaris. Take a look at USED rx Integrity servers on ebay, even those are
expensive enough to make one's nose bleed (as much as I would love to run HP-UX
on Itanium!)

Where it might make sense to run (Open)Solaris on Itanium, it would be the sgi
Altix servers. That's sgi's NUMAflex hardware with Itanium CPUs, currently
running a "sgi Propack" Suse Linux because sgi is in so much financial trouble
(and too stupid) to have ported IRIX 6.5 to Altix.

Has anyone heard anything about Polaris, the PPC port lately? Um, nope. Why?
Because once people got into the port, they realized that it's a lot of work;
and that's even with the existing prior work done by Sun for Solaris 2.5.1.

If you can muster enough developers to work on the port of (Open)Solaris to sgi
Altix, then sure, go for it. But where are you going to get the people who know
enough about Altix hardware? sgi's hopped up on Linux, I doubt any help would
come from them.