On Nov 11, 2007 4:30 PM, UNIX admin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > an
> > >
> > > Would that be cool?  Why, yes it would!
> > >
> > > Would it be a justifiable return on investment? No.
> > >
> > > Here's the deal:
> > >
> > > who's running IA64? Only two firms, sgi and hp.
> >
> > Actually, believe it or not, IA64 seems to have found
> > a niche with
> > worldwide Mainframe builders. (excluding IBM).
> > http://www.internetnews.com/ent-news/article.php/37050
> > 16
>
> 200,000 pieces? That's miserable.
>
> Love this quote:
> "Despite its low profile, RISC-based processing continues to hold between 45
> and 50 percent of the market and the revenues are still substantial"
>
> Yeah, no kidding, the IA64 based hardware is way, waaay overopriced! When
> will companies, Sun INCLUDED, finally get it into their head that the days of
> fat profit margins are GONE.
>
> Expensive SILICON DOESN'T SELL.
>
> It has to be CHEAP and MASS PRODUCED, or else forget it!!!

While I would agree that the growth is in the commodity spaces, IBM
has proven time and time again, that mainframes aren't going anywhere.
Do you think Sun, IBM, and HP would still be making this hardware if
customers weren't still buying it?

I would guess the majority of Fortune 500 corporations still have
Mainframes in the basement running some hypercritical processes.

Also another interesting trend in Enterprise IT is that most of the
innovation going is basically reinvention of 30 year old mainframe
technologies on commodity hardware. ;) (Virtual Machines,
fiberchannel/isci, JCL, thin-client computing, utility computing, high
availability, throughput computing, etc.)

Cheers,
Brian

- Brian Gupta

http://opensolaris.org/os/project/nycosug/