On 11-Nov-07, at 1:59 PM, Brandorr wrote:

>>> 200,000 pieces? That's miserable.
>>>
>>> Love this quote:
>>> "Despite its low profile, RISC-based processing continues to hold
>>> between 45 and 50 percent of the market and the revenues are still
>>> substantial"
>>>
>>> Yeah, no kidding, the IA64 based hardware is way, waaay
>>> overopriced! When will companies, Sun INCLUDED, finally get it
>>> into their head that the days of fat profit margins are GONE.
>>>
>>> Expensive SILICON DOESN'T SELL.
>>>
>>> It has to be CHEAP and MASS PRODUCED, or else forget it!!!
>>
>> While I would agree that the growth is in the commodity spaces, IBM
>> has proven time and time again, that mainframes aren't going
>> anywhere.
>> Do you think Sun, IBM, and HP would still be making this hardware if
>> customers weren't still buying it?
>>
>> I would guess the majority of Fortune 500 corporations still have
>> Mainframes in the basement running some hypercritical processes.
>>
>> Also another interesting trend in Enterprise IT is that most of the
>> innovation going is basically reinvention of 30 year old mainframe
>> technologies on commodity hardware. ;) (Virtual Machines,
>> fiberchannel/isci, JCL, thin-client computing, utility computing,
>> high
>> availability, throughput computing, etc.)
>
> That all said there are far most interesting, (IMHO) targets for
> porting. Like MIPS and ARM. (I suggest these if we wish to compete
> with Linux in the high volume embedded space. e.g. Linksys routers,
> smartphones, toasters...) ;)

I'm sure that part of the reason Solaris doesn't do well embedded is
the massive resource requirements. When you're talking enterprise
computing, 512M of ram is negligible, but in embedded stuff, a 512M
memory footprint makes Solaris a no-go. I'm also not sure that this is
an area where Solaris /can/ shine since all the observability tools
that make SA's grin aren't worth a hill of proverbial beans when
they're locked up inside a wireless router