On 26-Nov-07, at 11:07 AM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:

> Shawn Walker wrote:
>>> the PSARC case to remove CDE was approved yesterday, so that's why
>>> dtlogin's going away. I'm not sure why xdm isn't being chosen as the
>>> default login and GDM is, but that's what I've been told by the
>>> people
>>> in charge of the case.
>>
>> Probably because GNOME is Sun's desktop choice so it makes logical
>> sense?
>
> I missed part of this thread, so am responding to what I see here.
> I don't
> know of any major opposition to xdm (and as the xdm maintainer for
> the X.Org
> community and the person who does the most work on Solaris's version
> of xdm,
> I'd hope they'd tell me), just a realization that gdm has more
> features and
> looks better.
>
> Specifically, gdm provides for accessibility helpers during login,
> has much more
> advanced theming support, is supported by Sun Ray's server for
> adding and
> removing Sun Ray displays on the fly, and probably has a few other
> features I've
> forgotten.
>
> None of this is impossible to do with xdm, if someone wanted to do
> the work to
> add all that, but why duplicate all that effort when gdm works?
> Is there some
> reason a user would prefer xdm over gdm?    (The main reason I know
> of xdm still
> exists and is used is at sites who want the same login gui on all
> their
> different varieties of Unix machines, even the old ones without
> GNOME.)

Okay, fair enough.

All those reasons seem to me to be reasons to use something other than
xdm. I don't see that they're particularly good reasons to use GDM in
particular, however.

I'm still hoping to find an option that isn't so dependency laden &
heavy. Which is why it's a shame dtlogin's being removed.