Gérard:

> hum, i'm very surprised to read this about sunrays, because the last
> time i asked sunray team, i got this reply (03/16/07):
> "GDM is usable for Sun Ray only on Linux.  On Solaris only
> dtlogin is usable.
> GDM on Solaris should now be capable of supporting Sun
> Ray but Sun Ray is not yet ready to use GDM on Solaris.
> It's possible, but unlikely, that the next release of Sun Ray
> will allow you to choose to use GDM on Solaris.  It's more
> likely in the release after next. "

This is because Sun Ray is currently not supported on Nevada.  If you
were to use the GDM in Solaris Nevada with Sun Ray, it should work
well.  Some users do run Sun Ray with GDM on Nevada, and I have
heard them say it works okay.  But this isn't a supported setup.

I think this is what the Sun Ray team meant when they said "GDM on
Solaris should now be capable of supporting Sun Ray but Sun Ray is not
yet ready to use GDM on Solaris".

GDM was first included in Solaris 10.  So Solaris 10 is the only
*supported* version of Solaris that has both Sun Ray and GDM support.
However, the version of GDM shipped with Solaris 10 does not support
Sun Ray at all.  This is because the work to integrate GDM with
Sun Ray was finished after Solaris 10 was released.

If you really wanted to get GDM on Solaris 10 working with Sun Ray,
it is possible.  You'ld have to build a newer version of GDM, and
hack your Sun Ray scripts a bit.  But this wouldn't be supported
either.

Brian