> Yes, I tried "ifconfig -a plumb". It didn't change
> anything; I still
> just see the two lo0 devices (IPv4 & IPv6)

While Juergen migh be correct with `ifconfig -a`, this syntax is new and
unknown to me. As far as I know, "plumb" argument always needs a NIC instance.

So please try:

ifconfig e1000g0 plumb

and then:

ifconfig e1000g0 <IP address/CIDR> broadcast + up

like so:

ifconfig e1000g0 1.2.3.4/16 broadcast + up

This will work only if the entry for "pci8086,109a" exists in
/etc/driver_aliases and is bound to "e1000g". If it is bound to another driver,
then you need to replace "e1000g" with the name of the correct driver.

> <sigh> Why is nothing ever easy????!!!

This is piece of cake stuff. Normally all of this is set up during the install,
if you chose not to do so, then it's all in all 45 seconds to enter the
interace names in /etc/hosts and create the corresponding
/etc/hosname.e1000g[0-n] files. You might be experiencing a hardware or an IRQ
problem, BIOS settings might be incorrect, and so on, and so forth.