On Dec 24, 2007 6:44 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Normally a "*.d" directory is for package-specific contributions to a
> config file that are all handled together by the configured facility --
> Linux has logrotate.d for all the log rotating specs from different
> packages, and cron.d for specific cron additions, and so forth.  Emacs
> recognizes an emacs.d directory for some startup file things, too.
>
> Solaris has an /etc/cron.d directory, but the files in it aren't crontab
> files, and the man pages don't make any suggestion of anything except
> user-specific cron files (no system cron file, either, that I can
> find).  So why the heck is the directory called /etc/cron.d?  That's
> just mean; deliberately misleading people!  And misusing the naming
> convention.

from reading crontab's[1] man page you'll see that in /etc/cron.d you
can place the cron.allow/cron.deny files.
you will also see that the user's crontab files are in /var/spool/cron/crontabs.
Linux of course works the same way and stores user's crontab files in
the same place (at least slackware does)
what other cron file are you looking for?

[1]:http://compute.cnr.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?crontab+1

> (truth time: I'm going to be *so* happy when there's a decent ZFS
> implementation in Linux and I can ditch this archaic pile of kludges.)

solaris is much more than ZFS and the tools are far from archaic

nacho