In the future, please send these to opensolaris-help, or
sysadmin-discuss. :) Also, check out:
http://www.genunix.org/wiki/index.php/OpenSolaris_New_User_FAQ

On Dec 25, 2007 12:23 AM, David Dyer-Bennet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ignacio Marambio Catán wrote:
> > On Dec 24, 2007 6:44 PM, David Dyer-Bennet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> Normally a "*.d" directory is for package-specific contributions to a
> >> config file that are all handled together by the configured facility --
> >> Linux has logrotate.d for all the log rotating specs from different
> >> packages, and cron.d for specific cron additions, and so forth.  Emacs
> >> recognizes an emacs.d directory for some startup file things, too.
> >>
> >> Solaris has an /etc/cron.d directory, but the files in it aren't crontab
> >> files, and the man pages don't make any suggestion of anything except
> >> user-specific cron files (no system cron file, either, that I can
> >> find).  So why the heck is the directory called /etc/cron.d?  That's
> >> just mean; deliberately misleading people!  And misusing the naming
> >> convention.
> >>

> > from reading crontab's[1] man page you'll see that in /etc/cron.d you
> > can place the cron.allow/cron.deny files.
> > you will also see that the user's crontab files are in
> > /var/spool/cron/crontabs.
> > Linux of course works the same way and stores user's crontab files in
> > the same place (at least slackware does)
> > what other cron file are you looking for?
> >

> Where do system cron files go?  The two places they go on Linux and
> other systems I've run don't exist on Solaris.

When you say "cron files", I assume you are referring to crontabs?:

All crontabs are in the directory: /var/spool/cron/crontabs/

I think by default the following crontabs exist (This is true for a
Solaris 8 system, I happen to be logged into).:
adm
lp
root
sys
uucp

> Did you understand my point about the normal meaning of "thing.d"
> directories?  That first paragraph you quoted?

I understand your point, I just don't think it is something to get caught up on.

> > [1]:http://compute.cnr.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?crontab+1
> >
> >> (truth time: I'm going to be *so* happy when there's a decent ZFS
> >> implementation in Linux and I can ditch this archaic pile of kludges.)
> >>

> > solaris is much more than ZFS and the tools are far from archaic
> >

> I was a Solaris admin before I ever ran a Linux system, but that was
> long enough ago I've lost a lot of what I knew then.  And what Solaris
> does now isn't I'm pretty sure what SunOS did back when I knew it (just
> pre-Solaris if I'm remembering this right).   And what I *really* am is
> a software engineer, so admin stuff was keeping a server working for a
> development group or such, not my primary role.
>
> What happens to me every time I turn around on Solaris these days is
> that tools I'm used to using are missing key features that I use every
> day.  Tar is missing the 'z' option, date is missing all sorts of
> options (can't do conversions on dates specified on the command line),
> touch is missing options I think.  And ps has just totally different
> options, in a different syntax (to get roughly the listing I want every
> time, I need to type "ps -ef" instead of "ps ax" I think).  And when I
> try to find anything in the documentation, I mostly can't (or they
> describe three ways of doing things but don't explain why one would
> choose one over another).   And of course there's far, far less
> information on the web that I can find to help me out when I have these
> problems.

I know what you are talking about. For tar, I just use "gtar", but if
you are used to Linux, that is not intuitive. The Solaris system comes
with two version of ps (the standard and /usr/ucb/ps.) I actually use
both, depending on my needs. The one in /usr/ucb, is the old BSD style
one that takes the "-auxwww" args. The standard one you use "-ef", is
based on AT&T System V UNIX. GNU ps, which Linux ships with, accepts
both System V and BSD arguments (to make things more confusing).

> And since Linux is what my work laptop and the systems I'm developing
> for at work run, that's what keeps being reinforced; I'm currently
> running Solaris *only* on the file server at home, and I put it there
> only because I wanted ZFS.
>
> For me, I'd be *immensely* better off running Linux with a good ZFS
> port, if one existed.  I probably also wouldn't have had to wait over a
> year to get all 6 motherboard SATA ports supported, and I *still*
> haven't dared try again to see if the hot-swap I paid so much for is now
> actually supported.

This is a real problem that Sun is facing. Because they let Linux gain
such popularity, without open sourcing Solaris, a large portion of the
potential userbase is more familiar with the Linux "Userland".

A couple of projects are ongoing to address this.

1) Sun is working on a new distro called Indiana, that will attempt to
pick and choose the most appropriate default behaviour, to ease use
for "non-Solaris" admins.
2) A Debian port of Solaris is well underway. www.gnusolaris.org This
is the OpenSolaris distro known as Nexenta. It supports a mode of
operation that has the GNU utilities and commands running as the
defaults, displacing the standard "UNIX" ones. (The UNIX ones are
still there, you just have to run in a different "personality" mode.)
I have used Nexenta, and feel comfortable recommending at this point,
for your file server use.

Debian has recently let Nexenta developers/leaders know that their
project is welcome in the Debian family, and that upstream acceptance
of there work was forthcoming, so this project has some legs.

-Brian

P.S. - Feel free to contact me offline. Also, please remove
opensolaris-discuss from any further replies to this thread.

> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, [EMAIL PROTECTED]; http://dd-b.net/
> Snapshots: http://dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/data/
> Photos: http://dd-b.net/photography/gallery/