russell:

> I am running Solaris 10 8/07 (64bit operation) on a PC using Supermicro
> H8DAE-2 motherboard with the OSS v4.0-1012 driver connected to Harman/Kardon
> 2.1 speakers, with Optiarc DVD RW AD-7170S firmware v1.00  drive connected to
> SATA0.
>
> 1) Not all Audio play back programs honour the volume setting of the Volume
> Control in the bottom right hand corner of the Java Desktop Interface.
>     ie  RealPlayer v10.0.9.1204 does honour volume setting
>         CSWogle does not honour volume setting
>         "Sound Recorder" playing back audio files does not honour volume
> setting

You say you are using the OSS driver?  Note that if you are using OSS on your
system that
you need to recompile SUNWgnome-audio, SUNWgnome-media, and perhaps
SUNWgnome-media-apps
pacakges to get them to build with OSS support.

Do you have the same problem running /usr/dt/bin/sdtaudiocontrol?

> 2) When attempting to play back CDs using the "CD Player" the CD is
> recognised and you can select play, but no audio is heard.
>
> 3) When attempting to play back CDs or DVDs using /usr/sfw/bin/Totem then I
> get the following error message
> "An error occured
> Could not determine type of stream."

This is a GStreamer error...  Again, I wonder if OSS might be having issues
with GStreamer.
Rebuilding the above packages to get GStreamer to recognize OSS might help.

> Examining /vol/dev/aliases/cdrom0 is a link to /vol/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0/audio_cd
> when playing CDs
> This would indicate that the disk is identifed as an audio disk but the
> reading of the cd results in a corrupted stream.
>
> Is the volume issue related to the OSS driver or to the application or both?
>
> Is there a patch which would fix the playback of audio cds for either CD
> Player or Totem?

Do you have similar problems using non-GNOME CD players?  I forget, but I think
there
is a Motif one available in Solaris 10, either in /usr/bin or /usr/dt/bin.

Brian