When I run /usr/dt/bin/sdtaudiocontrol and select View -> Status, then use
"Sound Recorder" to play back bark.au then Audio Control Status reflects the
playing of the bark.au file. When I change the Volume setting (lower right hand
corner) the change is immediately reflected in the Audio Control Playback
Volume. Changing the Playback Volume setting similarly changes the Volume
control in the lower right hand corner. However "Sound Recorder" completely
ignores this, running File -> Mixer and attempting to alter the volume this way
has no effect. Similarly /usr/dt/bin/sdtaudio ignores the Volume setting as
well (in fact the volume control within sdtaudio also has no effect.

I have looked in /usr/bin and /usr/dt/bin and have not spotted the Motif cd
player. I have installed XMMS, the cd plays but no audio.