> I think he may want that, bu the claims he is NOT getting that from
> Linux; specifically the fact that installing one package causes half the
> system to be upgraded and parts to be crippled.

Totally agree - this is exactly what happened recently on a Linux server
I know of. But to say that the implementation is poor is to ignore the
prime motivation for such a system - many admins are too busy to compile
all their software from source, follow dependencies and finesse
implementation quirks. The various Linux packaging/installation/update
systems have been hacked, modified, recoded and reworked to fit the
various goals of the distro creators and coders (c.f. the two "official"
versions of RPM currently available). Is it not possible that the
engineering expertise and coherent cooperative work that made the
Solaris OE so stable, powerful and dependable could go further towards
the goal of simple, reliable software administration than any of the
various Linux efforts?

> Such as system may work fine if all the software you ever use is in the
> repository (it generally isn't) and that if package "X"'s depenency
> declaration of "X needs Y version A or later" is factual which requires
> proper backward compatibility for Y.

Having half of your software administered automatically is better than
nothing. And package dependency resolution is an area where rigorous
central administration can really set a package management system head
and shoulders above the others. To say that to do it well is difficult
does not mean it should not be attempted.

That was a bit more of a rant than I intended, but I really see big
potential for growth here.

Chris