To make sure you understand. I started with a PDP-11/45, an rm-03, a tu-66 and
Unix V7. My current home computer is a Sun Ultra-24 which has  SUSE-10, Ubuntu
Hardy-Heron and Solaris-10 installed.  I don't care for Ubuntu's "we know more
than you do" installation and packaging system.I don't care if the installation
process looks pretty or is "easy", I should only install just once. The
packaging system shouldn't force me to do a bare metal install because patching
one package results in every other package breaking. I don't care for the
community flame wars over "eye-candy". I do not care if this weeks newest
webcam works or if I can play music from iTunes. What I do care about is if I
can find away to shave another 10 minutes off  WRF and MM5 model run times with
4 cores and 8gb of memory. Can I get HYSPLIT_4 to generate explosion plumes
while WRF is running at the same time. Can I volume render HYSPLIT_4 output on
a laptop. While Linux is more stable Windows, Linux has been
  and is moving in the direction of "eye-candy" and reduced stability. This
based on real-world experience. I cann't afford more file-system failures or
kernel crashes while WRF/HYSPLIT/DRAS is running. I will abandon Solaris and
move to OpenBSD if Solaris moves to the Linux model.