On Sun, 3 Feb 2008 12:27:41 -0600
"Shawn Walker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2008 12:14 PM, Ken Gunderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 03 Feb 2008 07:01:18 PST
> > "Dr. Robert Pasken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > I thought it was a mistake to bring any sort of linux flavoring into
> > > Solaris and I won't deal with anything that has to do with Indiana or any
> > > other attempt to make Solaris look/act like linux. I use Solaris because
> > > it is Unix, is stable and meets some minimum standards for useability.
> > > Linux is a train wreck that hasn't come to a complete stop yet. Compared
> > > to windows, linux is a paragon of stability, compared to Solaris it makes
> > > me think of windows
> > >

> > +1
>
> Except, as was later discovered, this isn't about making things "like
> Linux"; it's about making the OS more accessible to users and
> developers.
>
> It just so happens that GNU/Linux is one of those platforms from which
> certain evaluations are drawn.
>
> If you'll note past discussions, FreeBSD has been in those evaluations too.
>
> The user base of other operating systems is significantly larger; good
> products adapt to market expectations where possible and reasonable to
> do so.

You're comparing apples and oranges here:

FreeBSD => BSD license, BSD historic code base, integrated kernel and
unix userland.  The cohesiveness thereby gained resulted in significant
advantages in stability.  FBSD also out preformed Linux in many
scenarios up until major re-architecting decisions and 5.x resulted in
slow and buggy, 6.x got mostly stable but still slow, and 7.x promises
return to speed.  But.. the "linuxization" of FBSD and loss of key core
members have taken their toll so lot's of FBSD'ers are checking their
options.

Linux => GPL license.  Linux kernel bundled into assorted "distros" with
various GNU tools (Gnu's Not Unix, proclaimed loud and proud on their
homepage) and disparate userlands, etc., the components of which are
far from standardized.  Dependency nightmares during installs and
upgrades. When several _hundred_ RH boxes are borked because of sloppy
merges, etc., who cares that it's commercially "supported", you still
have one hell of a lot of unhappy customers yelling at you. Granted,
Linux has improved over the years, but still not without it's warts.

Which brings us to Solaris. Can Solaris provide integrated, cohesive
kernel and true unix userland in a stable and well performing package
that is freely available, and hence able to compete on it's own
technical merits with the freely available *BSD's and Linuxes?  I hope
so. That's why I'm looking at it in the first place.  As a professional
unix sysadmin I'm not too interested in yet another "Linux distro
of the month" to play with nights and weekends because I have no other
life. So what's the Solaris target market going to be, professionals or
hobbyists? There's lots more of the latter if you're objective is
mindshare with the pc hobbyist rags, etc., wh/may do quite well at
raising visibility.  But I don't think these folks buy support
contracts, nor are they likely to upgrade to Sun "big iron" sparc
machines.

My $0.02.

--
Best regards,