Ian Collins writes:
> OpenSolaris != SXCE.
>
> Sun are free to distribute their OpenSolaris distributions anyway they
> see fit.  Whether they shoot them selves in the foot is their business!

I'm not going to try to defend the SDC -- this is neither the right
list to discuss it nor do I have any connection at all with the people
who run that site -- but there's a complication here that I think the
folks posting (and vociferously at that) on the thread need to
realize.

The existing Solaris Express distribution is not redistributable.  It
includes licensed software from other entities, in the form of the old
CDE environment and Xsun server, among other things.  As a result, it
just _can't_ be as simple as "wget ftp://sun.com/sxce.iso";.  I think
it'd be great if we could do that, but you may as well yell at the IPR
holders rather than those who are legally compelled to follow the
rules.

That's why it has that click-through license agreement, and why you
can't just wget it.  The problem isn't just a technical bit of
stupidity that can be fixed by application of clue.