> Sure there is. :-)> > So, here comes a history lesson as all of this has been
> talked about> before to death.
I thank you kindly for the effort, but I should tell you at this point that I
closely follow the development of OpenSolaris.

How closely?

How about down to monitoring the changelogs - almost every day?
Not that it is enough to satisfy my thirst - I also monitor Flag days as well.

And since I have this nasty knack for "warming up the chair", I spend hours
sifting through the documentation of the projects that interest me.

I know that the ability to have the option of changing one's shell is planned -
but it can't come soon enough (/bin/bash is REALLY BAD), and you know the old
saying:

"squeeky wheel gets the oil."

The other two big issues I already wrote about - basically, what there is now,
at the moment, is only good for someone with loads of free time to sit in front
of a computer and click on pretty pictures and hack stuff around until it's
"customized" to one heart's content - it doesn't work for one than one system
at a time, which is exactly what I wrote before - this stuff is nowhere near
ready for what I need it to do.

But I think the biggest issue is that there's no application packaging
developer's guide (that I know of) for the new IPS system.  So even if I wanted
to get a head start, which I would like to do, I'm stuck.  And I probably don't
need to tell you that reverse engineering takes huge amounts of time. Not that
I would mind, it's just that I'm limited by having to sleep sometime, too.

> It all comes down to 'requirements'. The traditional Solaris installer> (as
> seen in Solaris 10 and prior) is not terribly user friendly. We've

Perhaps not terribly user friendly, but I'll tell you - other than Flash(TM)
archives and JumpStart(TM), it's still the fastest and most efficient way to
install Solaris interactively!
> had complaints from people for a very long time about that.> The problems are
> exacerbated even further when you are trying to attract> new developers to
> your platform who have never used Solaris and are used> to other Unix-like
> platforms such as Mac OS X, Ubuntu and Redhat (to> name a few) that have very
> simple 'stream-lined' installers.
No problem with streamlined, it's just that the lack of ability to pick the
shell and slice up the disks the way I *need* them to be sliced is really a big
showstopper for "Indiana".

Imagine having to do `find + cpio` and a whole bunch of other things to migrate
the *insane default layout* to a full root + swap - every time?

What am I supposed to do or start with 450GB of /export/home???  I need space
on / resp. /opt, not /export/home!

> Have a look at:> >
> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/install/files/install_strategy.pdf>
> and> http://www.opensolaris.org/os/community/install/caiman_arch.pdf
> > And you'll get an idea for where we're going and why.
I read these when they first came out - note the date of 2006 (I'm an addict
beyond help, I know).

But like I wrote - all this stuff can't come fast enough.

I wanted to work in the installer team, but unfortunately, the job position had
already been filled - in record time, I was told.

> I disagree, you seem to be forming that opinion based on what we have at> the
> start of the race and not the finish. We're very much closer to the>
> beginning than to the end (to quote Dave Miner).
You are taking me out of context, on two counts:

- my opinion is based on my statement that "Indiana" is nowhere near ready to
be used in a production mission critical environment
- if you want an example of awesome technology only fit for one single system -
you need look no further than zones! What a perfect example of what I wrote!

> The documents linked above should help dissuade you from the opinion> that
> we're ignoring our enterprise customers. That isn't our intention> and never
> has been.

You're trying to make Solaris more attractive for people that really *need* to
learn System V, and are both shooting yourself, the existing Solaris base, and
the newcomers in the foot.