> Are you dense or being obtuse? What part of "legally compelled to> follow the
> rules" don't you grasp?
Let's go with the "dense" variant.

OK, after some clarification from James and Dr. Hahn, I guess things are
starting to com into perspective.

Glenn also points out that it's about "Paper. Trail."

However, login data can be completely bogus.  And like Glenn, I've worked in
the security industry for a number of years and know better than to give out
valid data to some web site run by marketing goons, out there on the big bad
Internet.

Security 101, no?

Anyways, I still don't understand. A license not permitting distribution can be
stuck in front of the Installer or whatever, just like GPL and CDDL are stuck
on pieces of code, and people have to abide by them or get busted (LinkSys,
anyone?)

So forcing people to go through a click-through agreements is in my opinion
pure and utter nonsense. An appropriate license could be stuck on the product,
and buh-bye!

I *hate* unnecessary complications just so some marketing and lawyer goons can
feel important.

Anyways, James I think is the closest to the mark: just remove the "legally
encumbered" (what a nonsense phrase!) stuff from (Open)Solaris and plough on.
Sounds good to me!

And BTW, rules are there to be broken, trodded down upon, and ripped and torn
apart. Either set me free (BSD license) or expect me to fight back to the last
drop of my blood. But you won't control me. Especially not if you're a
marketing, political, or legal goon. I've got my own brain, thank you very
much, and I'm not going to stand for one telling me what I can and can't do,
and how and what I should think!