On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 4:47 AM, a b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Glen Lagasse Wrote:
>  > Sure there is. :-)
> >
> > So, here comes a history lesson as all of this has been talked about
> > before to death.
>
>  But I think the biggest issue is that there's no application packaging
> developer's guide (that I know of) for the new IPS system.  So even if I
> wanted to get a head start, which I would like to do, I'm stuck.  And I
> probably don't need to tell you that reverse engineering takes huge amounts
> of time. Not that I would mind, it's just that I'm limited by having to
> sleep sometime, too.

IPS is just a prototype at this point, so expecting extensive
documentation for something that is in rapid development isn't
reasonable.

However, there is a lot of material already available on the project
page. I encourage you to read it.

>  > It all comes down to 'requirements'. The traditional Solaris installer
> > (as seen in Solaris 10 and prior) is not terribly user friendly. We've
>
>  Perhaps not terribly user friendly, but I'll tell you - other than
> Flash(TM) archives and JumpStart(TM), it's still the fastest and most
> efficient way to install Solaris interactively!

That's funny, one of the most common complaints about Solaris installs
is how slow they are.

#1, the shell thing is a personal issue. You can easily change your
own shell once you startup the system since you are an experienced
user.

That's hardly a showstopper.

#2 Sun is going to ZFS; so no, you don't get the ability to "slice"
your disk anymore; that's for UFS only.

>  > The documents linked above should help dissuade you from the opinion
> > that we're ignoring our enterprise customers. That isn't our intention
> > and never has been.
>

>  You're trying to make Solaris more attractive for people that really *need*
> to learn System V, and are both shooting yourself, the existing Solaris
> base, and the newcomers in the foot.

You're basing your judgment on early prototypes and your own beliefs.
Sun has being doing this for decades, I'm sure they know what their
customers want.

Since they are a business, they have a very large motivation
(monetary, etc.) to keep their customers happy. Somehow I doubt they
will do what you suggest.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben