On Mon, 5 May 2008, Alan DuBoff wrote:

> On Mon, 5 May 2008, James Carlson wrote:
>
>> Alan DuBoff writes:
>>> I am giving my committment to the Alpine package, which I just compiled
>>> and am sending this message with.
>>
>> Paul Jakma had PSARC 2007/609 approved for Alpine.  I don't know the
>> current status of it, though.

And BTW Jim, this is exactly why I believe we need a seperate repository
hosted outside of Sun and in the community.

This PSARC case was filed back in October of 2007. We are 7 months from
the time of PSARC and the package has not been putback yet. I'm not trying
to belittle Sun for the time it takes, I know very well why it takes so
long for this stuff.

This is an opportunity for the community to create and use the package
while Sun ushers it through their own system.

We can't have this type of barrier to entry for our community. We will be
doomed to failure, IMO, just because we will not be able to keep up with
the other open source communities.

--

Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group