Shawn Walker wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Simon Breden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> My understanding from what I've seen is that SXCE is a release made
>> approximately every 2 weeks, and is based on the Nevada project.
>>
>> Again, my understanding of the 2008.05 release is that:
>> 1. this will be released only every 6 months
>> 2. it is based on the Indiana project
>> 3. to get updates for fixes, new code etc, you will use IPS -- i.e. the pkg
>> command (like the old Debian apt-get update... command)
>>
>> Does that sound correct, or not?
>
> Yes.
>
>> However, if I moved over to using 2008.05 (Indiana), I wonder if this would
>> be a much better way to keep my system up to date with fixes etc. However,
>> am I right in saying this is the first "real" release of Indian (non-Live
>> CD)? If so, again, perhaps it will still be more bleeding edge than staying
>> with Nevada.
>
> The difference is that real support will be available starting May 13th:
>
> http://www.sun.com/service/opensolaris/index.jsp
>
>> Also, from a code / features point of view, what are the main differences
>> between Nevada and Inidiana (2008.05)? I know about IPS, and that sounds
>> good, but what other things are there in Indiana that would make me want to
>> switch to using it?
>>

> The main thing is support being available. SXCE never had security
> fixes, etc. so you always had to BFU or reinstall each time.
>
> The disadvantage is that you won't see new functionality as quickly
> (every six months instead of every two weeks).
>
> The advantage is that the system will have "more features" (i.e.
> modernization) than Solaris 10, but be more stable than SXCE.

Your statement seems contradictory to what I have gathered,
according to David Comay[1] the Indiana repository will be updated
every two weeks as new SXCE builds become available. So stability-
wise it will be like SXCE and not SXDE. My interpretation of [2] and
[3] is that access to a more stable repository receiving backported
bugfixes only will be tied to a support contract.

So to me this implies that one either pays for a support contract
and gets a stable system with bug-/security-fixes and bi-annual
releases or has to live with a constantly updated, bleeding-edge
SXCE (at least if one makes use of IPS) :(

Or am I getting something wrong here?

[1]
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/indiana-discuss/2008-May/006154.html
[2]