On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:02 AM, Guido Berhoerster
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 5:51 AM, Simon Breden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>> My understanding from what I've seen is that SXCE is a release made
>>> approximately every 2 weeks, and is based on the Nevada project.
>>>
>>> Again, my understanding of the 2008.05 release is that:
>>> 1. this will be released only every 6 months
>>> 2. it is based on the Indiana project
>>> 3. to get updates for fixes, new code etc, you will use IPS -- i.e. the
>>> pkg command (like the old Debian apt-get update... command)
>>>
>>> Does that sound correct, or not?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> However, if I moved over to using 2008.05 (Indiana), I wonder if this
>>> would be a much better way to keep my system up to date with fixes etc.
>>> However, am I right in saying this is the first "real" release of Indian
>>> (non-Live CD)? If so, again, perhaps it will still be more bleeding edge
>>> than staying with Nevada.
>>
>> The difference is that real support will be available starting May 13th:
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/service/opensolaris/index.jsp
>>
>>> Also, from a code / features point of view, what are the main differences
>>> between Nevada and Inidiana (2008.05)? I know about IPS, and that sounds
>>> good, but what other things are there in Indiana that would make me want to
>>> switch to using it?
>>>

>> The main thing is support being available. SXCE never had security
>> fixes, etc. so you always had to BFU or reinstall each time.
>>
>> The disadvantage is that you won't see new functionality as quickly
>> (every six months instead of every two weeks).
>>
>> The advantage is that the system will have "more features" (i.e.
>> modernization) than Solaris 10, but be more stable than SXCE.
>
> Your statement seems contradictory to what I have gathered, according to
> David Comay[1] the Indiana repository will be updated every two weeks as new
> SXCE builds become available. So stability- wise it will be like SXCE and
> not SXDE. My interpretation of [2] and [3] is that access to a more stable
> repository receiving backported bugfixes only will be tied to a support
> contract.

That's why I pointed at that link above for the support page, and said
"support being available."

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

> So to me this implies that one either pays for a support contract and gets a
> stable system with bug-/security-fixes and bi-annual releases or has to live
> with a constantly updated, bleeding-edge SXCE (at least if one makes use of
> IPS) :(
>
> Or am I getting something wrong here?

I know as much as you do about that, at this time, and your impression
matches mine.

*If* that is what Sun chooses to do, it would essentially be the same
thing RedHat does with Fedora, and I think it would be quite fair.

I suspect we'll find out more on May 13th.

--
Shawn Walker

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben