On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Guido Berhoerster
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>>
>> *If* that is what Sun chooses to do, it would essentially be the same
>> thing RedHat does with Fedora, and I think it would be quite fair.
>>
>> I suspect we'll find out more on May 13th.
>
> That would be a major disappointment to me, as I had hoped more from a
> "community" effort. Then there would be a need for an OpenSolaris-CentOS...

No, CentOS only exists because RedHat was extremely restrictive about
any usage of their trademark. The CentOS folks weren't even allowed to
reference the fact that their packages came from RedHat Enterprise
Linux.

The other difference is that, thanks to ips, it is fairly easy to
setup a repository.

As such, should there be no "security fixes only" repository provided
by Sun, community members can certainly provide one and users can
simply add that to their configuration.

Debian and Fedora both rely upon community members to supply most of
their packages and maintenance. I don't see why our expectations
should be any different for OpenSolaris.

I think it would be unreasonable to expect Sun to provide *everything*
free (how would they stay in business?)

--
Shawn Walker

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben