On Fri, May 9, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Guido Berhoerster
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>>
>> No, CentOS only exists because RedHat was extremely restrictive about
>> any usage of their trademark. The CentOS folks weren't even allowed to
>> reference the fact that their packages came from RedHat Enterprise
>> Linux.
>>
>> The other difference is that, thanks to ips, it is fairly easy to
>> setup a repository.
>>
>> As such, should there be no "security fixes only" repository provided
>> by Sun, community members can certainly provide one and users can
>> simply add that to their configuration.
>
> That was all I meant.
>
>> Debian and Fedora both rely upon community members to supply most of
>> their packages and maintenance. I don't see why our expectations
>> should be any different for OpenSolaris.
>>
>> I think it would be unreasonable to expect Sun to provide *everything*
>
> I did not mean everything, but rather bi-annual releases of OpenSolaris and
> the availability of security fixes. This is what I also get from Linux

As I said before, many GNU/Linux distributions depend upon community
members to supply and maintain packages.

Why does Sun have to provide it?

> distributions and IMO nothing unreasonable to expect. I'm a student and
> consider myself a Unix hobbyist, I don't need and want a support contract
> but I like a certain amount of stability and do not like a system with
> security vulnerabilities.

But you are wanting a stable system with specific fixes only, that
sounds like you want support.

>> free (how would they stay in business?)
>
> By selling support contracts (to commercial customers) and hardware?

Isn't maintaining software a form of support?

RedHat requires you to subscribe to receive updates to RHEL, even
after you've bought it.

I don't see why Sun can't...

--
Shawn Walker

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben