On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Guido Berhoerster
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Shawn Walker wrote:
>>
>> I'm just going to have to disagree in general.
>>
>> Maintaining software is expensive, especially lots of software.
>>
>> Your belief seems to be that Sun should support the cost of the
>> distribution by themselves, that if the community doesn't provide it,
>> Sun has to, and that you should get all support short of a help-line
>> for free.
>>
>> You also seem to believe that the burden of this cost should be placed
>> on enterprise users and that individual users should not have to share
>> in any of it.
>>
>> That doesn't seem very fair or reasonable.
>

> I don't say what Sun *should* do, I am merely pointing out some
> contradiction between the initially stated goal to create a distribution of
> OpenSolaris attractive to Linux developers and the later implementation. I
> think it is fair to measure Sun by this goal and to compare it to the
> alternatives or "competition", that is a multitude of Linux distros
> providing stable and supported releases (if through community or corporate
> developers doesn't really matter) for free.

I don't believe its a contradiction. Mac OS X attracts many GNU/Linux
developers, for example, but without providing anything for free.
While I realise that Apple hasn't targeted them directly, I think it
is fair to say that they have targeted users of "UNIX-like" platforms
in general -- otherwise they wouldn't have sought UNIX certification.

Not only that, when someone says they want to attract GNU/Linux
developers, that doesn't mean they're going to copy exactly what
GNU/Linux distributions do.

I also disagree that OpenSolaris should be compared to Fedora. I
believe that, in general, the stability and quality of OpenSolaris
will be greater than that of the free GNU/Linux distributions, and
directly comparable to the non-free (cost) en enterprise
distributions.

> So I don't see why the current model would lure Linux developers into using
> OpenSolaris, there is a multitude of Linux distributions (run by communities
> or corporations) that provide a supported and stable branch of their product
> for free. It may have it's usefulness for OpenSolaris developers just as
> development versions of Linux distributions have their usefulness to their
> developers. It might also one day serve as a basis for community supported
> derivatives, I'm just sceptical that this will happen any time soon (and I'd
> be happy if I was proven wrong).

This where you and I diverge. You seem to believe that attracting
GNU/Linux developers will require giving everything away for free and
being "just another GNU/Linux distribution." Attracting GNU/Linux
developers does not mean copying the business model of those
companies.

In fact, I would like to point out that only RedHat and Novell is
turning a noticeable profit out of the companies that produce
GNU/Linux distributions. These are the same companies that *do not*
release free updates for their enterprise level distributions.
Meanwhile, the community run, and corporate-sponsored projects do
produce distributions, but do not provide the same level of production
stability, etc.

I don't think that is the goal here. The goal is have a rich,
compelling environment for development that is familiar enough to
GNU/Linux users that they feel comfortable while using the platform.

OpenSolaris has technologies that you will not find in any of the
GNU/Linux distributions, such as ZFS, Containers, DTrace, and dlight.
It has a stable ABI, APIs, and a wealth of language support and
documentation.

> My initial hopes raised by the stated objectives of Project Indiana have not
> been fulfilled, no big deal. I'll just continue to use my community and
> corporate sponsored linux distro that provides a released and supported
> version for free. And if I have more time I'll play around with OpenSolaris
> in a VM as I have before with SXDE.

You should use what best fits your needs, but OpenSolaris will and
does offer some superior technologies.

Cheers,
--
Shawn Walker

"To err is human -- and to blame it on a computer is even more so." -
Robert Orben