On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:37 PM, James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Kristian Rink writes:
>> Talking about OpenSolaris though, I (honestly) don't see much use in
>> keeping a vast bunch of different builds of the same libraries
>> maintained - who should possibly spend time and effort doing so? Maybe
>> in terms of OpenSolaris, people should leave aside the "self-contained"
>> blastwave idea and focus on maintaining _one_ large IPS repository with
>> a wider range of applications available rather than a bunch of
>> fragmented ones with wagonloads of redundant binaries... Just my $0.02
>> on that of course... :)
>
> Perhaps I'm missing the point, but I thought that's exactly what the
> OpenSolaris distribution (and IPS repository) folks were attempting to
> do.

Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.

However, I think we need to have a more coordinated method that allows
the unwashed masses ( people like myself ) to drop packages into a
not-quite-enterprise-class repo ( like
http://blastwave.network.com:10000 ) and also to promote packages
upwards to the pkg.opensolaris.org world.  The Blastwave stuff is easy
to contribute to but the pkg.opensolaris.org repo is shrouded in
mystery and magic words like ARC etc.

Dennis Clarke