Matt Harrison writes:
> It appears that for whatever reason, the interface refuses to enter the
> RUNNING state. No matter what I do I can't get nge0 RUNNING and that
> means I'm without network :/

That means that the underlying driver is reporting "link down."  It's
consistent with the log messages you're seeing.

> This is really a big problem for me right now, any help would be greatly
> appreciated. I'm going to try putting in an old RTL8139 and see if I can
> get running on that for now.

Using some replacement interface is exactly what I was going to
recommend -- along with filing a bug.  (I would have recommended a
trusty old Intel PPRO [e1000g] or 3COM [elxl] card, but that RTL8139
[rtls] should work as well.)