Bill Shannon writes:
> I disabled svc:/network/physical:nwam and enabled
> svc:/network/physical:default.  I went to System > Administration >
> Network.  It doesn't show *any* interfaces.

I'd recommend contacting the Desktop community.  They're the ones who
support the GUI bits.

I can't say I use them much myself.

> I rebooted.  No help.

I suggest diagnosing the problem before going through repeated
reboots.  The system is meant to be deterministic: if you've got a
problem now, you'll very likely still have that problem after a
reboot.

> ifconfig -a looks fine, but there's no default route.

What does "looks fine" mean?  Please provide the command output.

What does "dladm show-link" say?

> Ok, I can do "route add default 192.168.1.1" and now I have a default route.

Do this:

        # echo 192.168.1.1 > /etc/defaultrouter

That will make sure that (on your next reboot) the system retains the
default route you've specified.  The "route" command generally just
affects the running system.  (The exception to that is the "-p"
option.)

> But I can't lookup internet addresses, so I copy nsswitch.dns to
> nsswitch.conf and that works.

You'll also want to set up /etc/resolv.conf.

> But I'm putting all this together by hand, and I never had to do this on
> any of the other OpenSolaris machines I've installed.  Why isn't the
> Network admin GUI working to allow me to configure the network?

No idea; contact the desktop group.

As for the complexity, this is why we strongly recommend using DHCP
for configuration.  That's what it's designed to do, and it makes
things much simpler.