James Carlson wrote:
> Bill Shannon writes:
>> I disabled svc:/network/physical:nwam and enabled
>> svc:/network/physical:default.  I went to System > Administration >
>> Network.  It doesn't show *any* interfaces.
>
> I'd recommend contacting the Desktop community.  They're the ones who
> support the GUI bits.
>
> I can't say I use them much myself.

This was a problem 15 years ago when I left the OS group and I see
it's still a problem today.  You OS guys need to understand that
most people experience desktop systems through the GUI.  If the
GUI for *your* feature doesn't work, it's the same as your feature
not working.

Let the flaming begin!

>> I rebooted.  No help.
>
> I suggest diagnosing the problem before going through repeated
> reboots.  The system is meant to be deterministic: if you've got a
> problem now, you'll very likely still have that problem after a
> reboot.

Yes, most of the time that's true.  But I learned long ago that it's
better to reboot than to spend hours and hours trying to diagnose
such problems.

>> ifconfig -a looks fine, but there's no default route.
>
> What does "looks fine" mean?  Please provide the command output.

You know, UP, correct IP address, etc.  It's working.  Really.

> What does "dladm show-link" say?

$ dladm show-link
LINK        CLASS    MTU    STATE    OVER
iprb0       phys     1500   up       --

Normal, right?

>> Ok, I can do "route add default 192.168.1.1" and now I have a default route.
>
> Do this:
>
>       # echo 192.168.1.1 > /etc/defaultrouter

Yes, I forgot to mention that I knew how to do that too.

>> But I can't lookup internet addresses, so I copy nsswitch.dns to
>> nsswitch.conf and that works.
>
> You'll also want to set up /etc/resolv.conf.

It had already been set up, probably by NWAM.

>> But I'm putting all this together by hand, and I never had to do this on
>> any of the other OpenSolaris machines I've installed.  Why isn't the
>> Network admin GUI working to allow me to configure the network?
>
> No idea; contact the desktop group.

Will do.

> As for the complexity, this is why we strongly recommend using DHCP
> for configuration.  That's what it's designed to do, and it makes
> things much simpler.

Kind of sucks for an NFS server to change its IP address on every reboot.

Yes, I know, with sufficient cleverness and control over the DHCP server,
I can get it to hand out the same IP address every time.  I find it's
actually easier to configure the server itself.  And it's worked on all
previous OpenSolaris releases I've used.