> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, UNIX admin wrote:
>
> >> But of course you've read the text provided with
> the
> >> hyperlink that
> >> states the dependencies eh? ;-)
> >
> > Of course. I am a very firm believer in reading the
> documentation. In
> > fact, that's the very first thing I do.
> >
> > But truth be told, it is simply unprofessional to
> do what Steve
> > Christensen has done with Sunfreeware, and whether
> it's
> > free/gratis/whatever or not is no excuse in my
> eyes. At best, it's
> > amateur work, and that's saying it very politely.
>
> You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but I see
> nothing
> unprofessional in supplying sources. Supplying the
> source code is
> something that not everyone seems to do...something
> to think about.
>
> --
>
> Alan DuBoff - Solaris x86 IHV/OEM Group

IMO, it would be great to have something with the scope of
blastwave (csw), but with an infrastructure something more
like bsd ports or SFE, except that binary packages (and not
_just_ IPS please, not everyone is there yet, even if they are
running something newer than Solaris 8!) in-sync with the code
and build recipes would also be available.  BSD ports mostly
works well on the Mac, for example.  OTOH, I must be doing
something wrong, 'cause I've never been able to build SFE stuff...

Main thing  I want, that nobody's infrastructure seems to be
good at delivering, is pre-built binaries but with matching
source and build recipes available.  This matches my usage
model (which I suspect fits a lot of other people), namely
90%+ just wanting to use something, with occasions where
there's some bug I want to fix and test without having
formal membership in someone's project or a dedicated
system, but with someone I could pass the fix to so it
would find its way upstream...and minimal further hassles,
provided I documented what and why I did what I did.

Maybe I want the results of a well-structured process,
but a  lot less of the bovine excrement.