I would submit that in the desktop realm, you would be correct.
However, in my experience in the server realm, custom builds are
pretty common. For example, until very recently (like the last 2
years), I've rarely seen anyone run the Sun provided BIND, Sendmail or
Apache daemons on production servers and most have made significant
changes to what was installed and where it went. Partly that is due to
fact that most (corporate) servers are required to meet corporate
standard builds that span operating systems and OS versions. It is
also due to the fact that many servers are still (rightly in my mind)
built with minimized configurations that do not include most of the
fluff needed to run the latest gee-whiz GUI based management tools - I
should not have to run a web server and java just so that I can use
SMC to manage a DNS or mail server.

fpsm