On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 5:03 AM, Anon Y Mous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Genunix says that Martux works on Sun4u. I think I have an old Sun Blade 100
> with 500 megabytes of RAM buried in my girlfriend's garage somewhere. I will
> have to go on an archeological dig and excavate it so I can give Martux a
> spin on it.
>
> There is definitely a need a small, compact OpenSolaris-Milax type distro for
> old Sparc hardware as well as for old Intel x86 hardware. The only other
> operating system that is competitive on old SPARC hardware is probably
> OpenBSD, although I will admit that I have never tried SPARC Linux.
> --

Cool man  :)
But please take the successor, MartUX was really only experimental and
is unmaintained since 2006.
I fell into the SPARC-Xorg "trap", which took all my time and money
away since then. I simply didn't have any time to maintain the actual
distro.

http://www.martux.org/SPARC_distro_incl_Xorg7.2/
http://www.opensolaris.org/os/project/fox/SPARC-Xorg/
http://www.martux.org/MartUX__OSDevCon2007.pdf
http://www.martux.org:8001

Thanks for being interested.
I will support you (all of the few interested individuals).

The Blade 100 boots smootly into Xorg and icewm (Natamar).

Cheers,
http://visgetidentifier.blogspot.com/