On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 4:23 AM, Anon Y Mous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a solution for Herr Martin Bochnig that I think will make everyone in
> the OpenSolaris community happy:
>
> There are many people like me who have old Pentium III and Pentium IV
> computers with only 500 megabytes of RAM and we can't run Project Indiana
> OpenSolaris 2008.05 on these computers because it will run too slow. Instead,
> I have to run an XFCE based OpenSolaris distro called "Milax" (the solaris
> version of da mn small linux), which you can download from this link:
>
>  http://www.milax.org/
>
> and I love using Milax for certain purposes because it is so compact, so
> light weight and so much faster and more efficient than the regular Solaris
> and OpenSolaris distros are on old hardware.
>
> However, there is one big problem-- MILAX DOES NOT HAVE A GOOD PACKAGE
> MANAGEMENT SYSTEM!!!! And I think that is the one thing that is slowing it
> down from getting more widespread use and adoption.
>
> So why don't we have Martin Bochnig join forces with the Russian guy who does
> the programming for Milax and integrate the Conary package management system
> in to XFCE Milax. Call it "Bochnix" or whatever you want, but I think that
> Milax with a Conary package management system would have definite advantages
> for customized ZFS server installations and for running on older platforms
> like my $100 Acer laptop: the speed, efficiency, and compactness of Milax
> combined with the flexibility and customization of the Conary package
> management system would be a real force to be reckoned with in the UNIX
> world. Who knows? I'm not a fortune teller, but maybe it will be the best
> UNIX ever twenty or thirty years from now. You won't know if you don't try.
>
> I think it would be better to combine Martux and Milax into one
> super-powerful OpenSolaris distro (Marlax?) than it would be to have what we
> currently have right now where everyone is working at cross purposes trying
> to run their own "one man show" by creating their own custom distro instead
> of combining forces and getting some group synergy effects going.

Hey, I'm absolutely open to this.
But my only "wish" or "pre-condition" was (and is) the name "Natamar".
The generic distro bulk tool is open to everyone (doesn't create the
distro yet, only automates builds of currently on, sfw, fox-gate,
conary). Rest is still standalone on my hdds.

http://www.martux.org:8001
(pw is "OpenSolarisIsGreat" for pull and push).

But as I said, if anybody wants that I merge "my" pet distro with
theirs, then the name is going to be "Natamar".
Maybe it is too much that I want this.
Then we must continue separately  :) :)

%martin