On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 8:53 AM, James Carlson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> A more interesting question for this group, I think, is what
> requirements need to put onto the projects delivering into OpenSolaris
> consolidations so that those systems can work.  Right now, I think we
> have a possibly unstable situation: the source isn't just 'source,' it
> also (naturally) includes packaging information.  That information is
> in SysV format, which (through scripting) has flexibility that other
> systems (such as IPS) don't have, so accomodating those downstream
> consumers (distribution constructors) is an issue.
>
> Do we restrict projects to the least common denominator?  Somehow
> abstract packaging away?  Select one mechanism as "reference" and
> convert everything over?
>
> We probably need something like an OpenSolaris-wide policy here.

James, I'm glad you said something.  I heard something at the LSARC meeting
this week that gave me some pause and is related to IPS and porting issues.
 The questions you raise, along with John P's nascent project to define ARC
interaction with the rest of the community combined with the ARC's
scalability concerns regarding the massive porting projects that are
underway makes me believe there may be floodwaters rising.  Who has
responsibility for addressing your concern and the related concerns?  I do
not see the IPS project as being aware or even concerned about these issues
-- they seem to have their own internal agenda.   I'm afraid the one or two
voices that are raising interesting questions are only just shouting into
the coming storm at this point.  Do we need to define the problem statement
further?

Mark