Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersm...@sun.com> wrote:
>
>>> Alan, you are missunderstanding Solaris.
>>>
>>> The basic OS (ON) should not depend on GPLd software. This is the same
>>> approach
>>> as the *BSD people use.
>> So the basic OS should also not have a libm math library?   ON is not a whole
>> OS and never has been.    ON by itself is not a useful system.
>
> Alan you again missunderstand things. libm logically belongs to ON, it is in
> the compiler consolidation for adminstrative reasons only.

We can pick other examples, but the point is ON is part of Solaris, not
all of Solaris, and you are misunderstanding if you think the people who
make Solaris don't decide what Solaris is, but you do.

If you want proof that core Solaris, even in ON, can rely on GPL software,
you have to look no farther than the OS boot, reliant on the GPL'ed grub.

In any case, this has gone off topic.   The answer remains that just because
a software is GPL'ed does not mean it cannot replace a core Solaris utility
- other things, such as compatibility and support for required features are
what matters there.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com