Enrico Maria Crisostomo wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Alan Coopersmith
> <alan.coopersm...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Brian Smith wrote:
>>> If a GNU utility is a proper superset of the Solaris version, would patches
>>> to replace the Solaris version with the GNU version be accepted?
>> I would think so, but it would depend on specific cases.
>>
>>> Or, is
>>> there some kind of rule that says that all Solaris functionality must be
>>> present without depending on any GNU-licensed software?
>> Nope, since most of our desktop functionality depends entirely on GNU
>> licensed software.
>
> I understand it is, but it's absolutely natural that a percentage of
> the users would read Solaris documentation and would expect some basic
> functionality (such as ZFS ACLs) be there when invoking commands such
> as ls or chmod.

Agreed, but that would be a requirement for any replacement for ls or chmod,
no matter what the license.

> Moreover, in my opinion, "desktop
> functionality" should support even Solaris' specifics. I prefer using
> CLIs, but I would expect a "Security tab" on the file properties to
> support ZFS ACLs and so on.

Also agreed, as you can find a past thread from me in desktop-discuss
asking what Solaris features should be better supported in the desktop.
I think the ZFS snapshot gui in the Time Slider in Nautilus (the GNOME
file manager) is an excellent first step in this direction, and await
more to come.

--
        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com