On Thu, January 15, 2009 12:51, Octave Orgeron wrote:

> However, if the hope is that the GNU toolset will
> attract users and developers.. I think that idea maybe a little flawed.

That's slightly off from what *I* am thinking (not speaking for anybody
except myself here).  My point is that the really steep learning curve a
Linux user hits when he starts trying to run a current Solaris is a strong
discouraging factor; the detail changes in tools with the same names, and
major losses of functionality, make the user feel crippled and weak.
That's an unpleasant feeling, and one natural reaction is to walk away.
And a good pool of people comfortable with working in Solaris is valuable
to Solaris and to Sun!
--
David Dyer-Bennet, d...@dd-b.net; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info