davenz wrote:
"I might add that amongst these ineloquent commnents about "Ponytail" it was
through JIS I was introduced to Sun, precisely at the time he mentioned ZFS was
being included in Mac OS X. Prior to that I knew zip about the company and its
products, and was a fulltime Mac OS and Wintel guy."

He used to head up the a company that ran software for the NeXT, Sun bought
them up and the software died a sick death. It badly affected the NeXT market
which resulted in their sale to Apple in the end. He apparently is just a one
trick pony you see, and that's why some of us find this sale transparently
stupid. It was a huge mistake for the board to appoint him to any C level
position, but they were probably off smelling their own flatulence at the time
too.

Jonathan Schwartz excels at killing off companies. I have yet to see him do
anything other than that in the long term, and in the future plan on running as
far away from any project he's involved in as fast as I can due to the risk
associated with the investment of my time. He's techno-poison on the hoof, and
when he gets out of the corral the safer move is to flee.

I'm sure he's a nice guy to have a beer with and all that noise, I'm not trying
to paint him as some sort of Kim Jong Il of the tech industry, but this is one
seriously stupid mistake, and I refuse to pretend that it's all somehow going
to be ok. History (and more than Lighthouse history too, look at other similar
idiot moves in the tech market as exemplars) suggests that it won't be, and
that a lot of value will be destroyed during the process.

IBM is an impressively bad company, I would encourage people to look around at
the endicottalliance.org site to get a more realistic idea of the potential
outcomes from this Titanic deal.

Tim