[i][On the bright side, we're getting a lot more press lately./i]

Yes. Press that brings up Scotty's shares and SUN down. Win one lose one.

Actually, the discussion before this was a good one, for a change. Yes,
'invention is faster at SUN', as someone answered to an earlier post of mine.
IPS might even become the greatest package manager of all time, who knows? When
I met the chief OpenSource evangelist here, in late 2007, I asked him about the
need for a new package manager. "Because it is dated". Not a great argument
when you work with Unix. Pressed a tad more, and the answer was, that apt would
not know about zones. True.
And now, what kind of business do we see from SUN? A perfect re-write of a
package manager from scratch. A file system, the last one mankind needs
(citation), a break-through new debugger, the final solution for network
configuration, a service handling utility that finally says 'good-bye' to last
millennium shell scripts in some /etc/init.
All hunky-dory. If SUN had the cash that flows around in Redmond, e.g. But SUN
is aware that it is not doing well financially altogether. Common sense is
enough to surmise that one cannot afford too much luxuries with semi-empty
pockets. No chance to commence a project worthy of a century (at least a
decade, though). What can you actually sell when you're living on a
construction site? Of course, all those new glitzy items are fabulous. But
where does the money come from? Especially since - and this is no surprise -
none of those glitzy new items is - actually - production-ready. In the sense
that I would want to trust my atomic submarine to it, or the accounting of my 5
billion $ bank? If one intends to stay in business, one also has to make
compromises. UFS might have done, for some time being. Or, apt might have done.
As long as a fully ready new item can be sold, the markets will buy.
Yes, this is the responsibility of the management. Or, it would have been the
responsibility. Instead, world and sundry was treated to new heights, the
all-encompassing cloud. Instead, what we are treated to is 'ongoing work', i.e.
half broken. Nevermind, but where is the market sense of some people??
(Actually, about the only thing that was miraculously not re-written was the
boot loader. And that's the only item that - at least here - has actually
worked flawlessly. This is a great argument, by the way, since it didn't suit
ZFS-boot, and still was 'only' adapted, and might not even see the
modifications accepted upstream.)

Uwe