> On a different note I don't know why Sun doesn't just
> give Masayuki Murayama "core device driver
> contributor" status so that he can freely work on
> fixing bugs in NIC drivers without having to run
> through the whole "sponsorship obstacle course". If
> you look at how many Solaris device drivers he has
> written over the years, I think he has earned it.

Sun cannot grant "Core Contributor" status - only the members of one
of the community groups or the OGB can do so, and the Drivers community
has already done so for him.  The only rights that gives him though are
a vote in OpenSolaris elections and the decisions of that community.

It does not give him a VPN tunnnel through the Sun firewall to allow
direct putbacks to the OpenSolaris ON master gates.   Direct putback
access without a sponsor depends on the master gate being outside the
Sun firewall, as it is for the Desktop consolidation and several projects
(like IPS) - not on the status of the contributor.

        -Alan Coopersmith-           alan.coopersm...@sun.com