> I realize that OpenSolaris isn't *entirely* separate
> from Solaris, but if Sun intended to have the next
> release of Solaris based on OpenSolaris, then
> millions will have to be spent to get it to that
> point, and many years.
>
> The better option would have been to have the next
> release built on SXCE.  Now, I am aware that SXCE was
> built on OpenSolaris, but it was more ready for the
> enterprise because it had the installer, zones,
> packaging, etc., already there.
>
> The Sparc text installer for OpenSolaris was only
> released yesterday.  There can't be any denial that
> OpenSolaris was targeted for a desktop user.  Network
> Auto Magic?  That doesn't yell enterprise, but rather
> joe schmoe sitting at home.  OpenSolaris Sparc wasn't
> available for the longest time.  AI isn't near ready
> for the enterprise so how many years before
> OpenSolaris can be ready.  How is OpenSolaris going
> to run on M-Series servers?  That I'd like to see.
> Sun spent $500 million on Solaris 10.  Is Oracle
> going to spend that much on OpenSolaris to get it
> ready for the enterprise?  I doubt it.  Take the
> good parts from SXCE and merge them into Solaris 10
>  and create SolarisNextGen or something.
>
> BTW, I do run OpenSolaris and have since 2008.05 and
> will install dev preview 131 soon.
>
> But please, OpenSolaris isn't ready to be installed
> on T- and M-Series servers in a 2000 server data
> center.

I agree. I can't see the IPS being anywhere close to Enterprise ready. It's OK
on my laptop but I wouldn't advocate switching from Solaris 10 on our data
servers. People have complained about the SVR4 patching system, and it creaks
like hell, but it's one thing to say it's broke and quite another to 'fix' it
with something less functional. I don't like the 'all or nothing' image-update
principle, is this because patching doesn't work yet or is that how it always
will be? I can't see that fitting well with data centre SysAdmins wanting to
patch one critical bug with minimal collateral impact on other services.

But this is all academic anyway now that Oracle has taken the reins. Judging by
how the word OpenSolaris has yet to be uttered by any Oracle spokesperson, it's
quite clear where their intentions are. They will continue to invest in
ClosedSolaris. I don't even know if the successor to Solaris 10 will continue
to be a free download or if Oracle will want to start making money again from
licensing and compulsory support subscriptions. I hope not!

Compare Screven's statements about OpenOffice, where the Oracle pledge is to:
"Continue to develop, promote and support OpenOffice
– Including the OpenOffice.org community edition"
This contrasts with the rather bland operating system commitment:
"Invest significantly in both Solaris and Linux"
No inclusion of the opensolaris community edition here. Their website
"community support" statements offer to support the java and opensolaris
communities, but this is not a promise to continue Sun's plan to base the next
release of Solaris on a public opensolaris build, nor is it a pledge to
continue updating the opensolaris code base with any improvements they make to
their commercial release of Solaris. If they're really going to spend more than
Sun did on improving Solaris, they might choose to keep those improvements to
the source code in-house.

The 7000 series is here to stay, so OpenSolaris is still of use to Oracle, but
even the 7000 machines were always closed appliances from Sun. We know they
were built using the OpenSolaris kernel, but that's about it.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I think in this case given how much Oracle has
already said about "Solaris", their lack of comment on "OpenSolaris" is
worrying.